Indiana health officials said Saturday that a fourth person died from the coronavirus as the state reported 47 new cases amid the pandemic, bringing Indiana’s total count to 126.
The state’s latest death from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, was an adult from central Delaware County who was over 60 and had been hospitalized, the Indiana State Department of Health said.
Nearly half of the 47 new cases reported Saturday – 22 – were in Marion County, home to Indianapolis, which now has 46 cases. The growing number of cases come as the virus has spread to Indiana’s largest population centers.
Cases of COVID-19 have now been reported in 34 of Indiana’s 92 counties, with 833 test results reported to the State Department of Health by late Friday. All but one of Indiana’s 126 confirmed cases have been in adults.
The Health Department said 279 Indiana residents were tested for the coronavirus within the previous 24 hours.
For most people, the virus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia.
Indiana has seen two people die in Marion County and one each in Delaware and Johnson counties.
Cities and counties across the state have issued emergency orders calling on residents to limit travel to only essential trips and have taken steps such as closing off playground areas.
Gov. Eric Holcomb on Friday delayed Indiana’s May 5 primary election until June 2. But he said he would need to see more signs of widespread spread of the virus before taking action such as the governors of California, Illinois and New York state in ordering nearly all residents to stay in their homes.
“The more people who practice social distancing, the less likely we get to the point to where we have to mandate sheltering in place,” Holcomb said.
More testing is coming for Indiana as Eli Lilly and Co. in Indianapolis was processing 200 tests on Friday and perhaps several hundred more over the weekend, Box said.
The governor has ordered all schools remain closed until at least May 1, urged no public gatherings of more than 50 people and called on restaurants to stop in-person dining in favor of only drive-thru and carryout business.