Chamber of Commerce announces Educator of the Year Awards
Bloomington, Indiana – The Greater Bloomington Chamber of Commerce Success School is honored to present the winners of the 20th Annual Educator of the Year Awards.
For twenty years, the Chamber’s Success School has supported educational excellence with an annual award ceremony that recognizes the best teachers and programs in accredited schools across Monroe County. The 20th Annual Educator of the Year Awards, which will be held on the evening of Thursday 4 March 2021 from 6:00 p.m. until 7:30 p.m., will be celebrated this year by eight educators, one educational program and one lifetime achievement recipients.
Unlike the first 19 ceremonies, this year awards will be presented in an online ceremony via Zoom. The program will still feature student-led entertainment with a performance from the Edgewood High School Choir. Presenting sponsors, Cook Group and Solution Tree will also join the Chamber in presenting our honorees with their awards.
Awardees are selected from a pool of nominees from across Monroe County by a committee composed of leaders from the public sector, business community, and education. The awardees for 2021 are as follows.
The Outstanding Educator Awards recognize outstanding service and dedication to the field of education, fellow educators, and Monroe County youth. Bloomington-based company Solution Tree is donating $500 to the school of each Outstanding Educator. In addition, Solution Tree will pay all expenses for each awardee to attend a Solution Tree Institute or any of their two-day workshops. Congratulations to our eight outstanding educators:
- Mariah Bruce, 5th Grade Teacher and coordinator for the Virtual Academy at Edgewood Intermediate School
- Sheila Butler, Adult Education Teacher at Broadview Learning Center (MCCSC)
- Debbie Ferree, Math Teacher at Jackson Creek Middle School
- Rebecca Guest-Scott, Virtual Academy Instructor at Edgewood Junior High
- Patty Harpring, 1st Grade Teacher at University Elementary School
- Amber Mullin, Kindergarten Inclusion Teacher at Edgewood Primary
- Maggie Olivo, Music Teacher at Fairview Elementary School
- Barb Stork, Special Education Department Co-Chair at Bloomington High School South
The Leading Light Award is for an educational program that demonstrates outstanding service and dedication with innovative or exemplary programs that enhance our education community. This year’s awardee is:
- Indiana Online Only Distance Education for English Language Learners
The Lifetime Achievement Award is for one individual who has demonstrated a lifetime of outstanding commitment to education. RCV Roofing is proud to offer the Lifetime Achievement winner a complimentary 6” gutter replacement for their home. This includes removal and disposal of old gutters and up to 250’ of new gutterwork, including accessories. This year’s lifetime achievement awardee is:
- Kathleen Hugo, retired Director of the Special Education Department at MCCSC
The Chamber wishes to congratulate all of this year’s award winners.
“Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors, registration for the 20th Annual Educator of the Year Awards is free and open to the public,” shared Erin Predmore, President & CEO of the Chamber, “We are looking forward to honoring these educators, and we hope you will join us in celebrating them next month.”
The Chamber would like to thank the following sponsors for making this possible: Solution Tree, Cook Group, German American Bank, IU Credit Union, First Financial Bank, Ivy Tech Community College – Bloomington, and the Herald-Times.